Get ready to dig in. It’s amazing how with a little imagination the beach at Birch Bay transforms into a series of sand castles and sand sculptures. Be creative and build sand sculptures such as geometric freeforms, sea turtles, alligators, mermaids, mythical castles, or your favorite pet.
This two-day event features music, vendors, and of course, sandcastles! Registration is free and open to families, businesses, community organizations or competitive teams.
Sand Sculpture Competition Details
Saturday, July 20th Winners:
Little Kids Division (Kids under 8 years old)
1st Place – Team Bananas, Captian Ella Van Holfwegen (Make believe Island called Hatuka)
2nd Place – Team Castle Builders, Captian Paxton
3rd Place – Team Rocket – Captian Evan (Bey Blade)
Tweens (Ages 9-14)
1st Place – Octabuck, Captain Emma Riemer (“Thanks A Latte – Octopus arm holding a Starbucks cup)
2nd Place – Luna the Hippo – Captain Lea Artiguenava
3rd Place – Team USA, Captain Taryn Walters (Equal justice honoring the girls of the US Soccer team – “Dream Big – Equal Play for Equal Pay!”)
High School (Ages 15-18)
1st Place – Team Castle of Dreams, Captain Ryan (Something you would see in your dreams – a castle on top of a turtle shell with rocks balanced on top)
2nd Place – Team Ocean, Captain Maya Daniels (Turtle, octopus and shark with shells for teeth)
Big Kids (Ages 19 – 100)
1st Place – Team Octopussy, Captain Alli Willis (A huge Octopus)
2nd Place – Team Tidal Defense, Captain Rick Tippe (Pirate Ship Wreck)
3rd Place – Team Dino MD, Captain Meagan (Dinosaurs)
Sunday, July 21st Winners:
1st Place – Team Hustle Muscle, Captain Katie
A Pirate Ship being attacked by an octopus, with a treasure chest filled with treasured words on painted rocks. Team members were dressed in pirate costumes and were playing pirate music.
2nd Place – Team Gogal Family, Captain Trynka
The Eagle has Landed – A beautiful eagle on its back with wings spread in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the USA moon landing.
3rd Place – Team Tess, Captain Kaitlyn
Hank the Hoarder, a shell hoarding octopus. Three generations worked together on this sand sculpture.
1st Place – Team Insandity, Captain Veronica
Castle & Dragons – A dragon complete with teeth and scales surrounding castles that are being destroyed by the squeeze of his tail.
2nd Place – Team Mavericks, Captain Penny
Fun in the Sun – Iguanas have fun in the sun just like the team that was building him.
3rd Place – Sand Apocalypse, Captain Bryan Bell
Battle at Sea – 2 Ships at battle firing flowers from their cannons.
Saturday, July 18th & Sunday, July 19th
Times & Details TBA
Pre-registration is now closed. Pre-registration will open in May 2020
Registration is FREE.
- High School
- Tweens 9-14
- Kids under 8
- Community Groups
- Plots are up to 20’x20′. work must be confined to this area.
- Plot must be clearly marked with colored stake designation division. (Stake will be given at check in)
- Extra water to wet sand is OK
- Tools or forms of any sort may be used in the process of construction, but may not support the structure.
- Decorations such as flags, kites, figurines, ornaments natural to design, may be used, but may not support structure.
- You must clean your area! Only biodegradable and earth friendly materials are allowed to be left on the beach.
- Children’s categories: One Adult may assist with initial digging, not with actual building.
- The main thing is to have fun and enjoy the day in Birch Bay!
- After judging stake must be turned in and area cleaned up to receive any awards earned
** PLEASE NOTE: ALL DOGS ON THE BEACH NEED TO BE ON AN 8′ OR LESS LEASH! PLEASE CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR PET!**
We look forward to receiving any video clips or photos taken at our event. Please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photos by Wayne Diaz