Get ready to dig in. It’s amazing how with a little imagination the beach at Birch Bay transforms into a series of sand castles and sand sculptures. Be creative and build sand sculptures such as geometric freeforms, sea turtles, alligators, mermaids, mythical castles, or your favorite pet.
This two-day event features music, vendors, and of course, sandcastles! Registration is free and it’s open to families or more competitive teams. Awards are handed out each day at 4:30pm.
The Rollback Car Show is the same weekend as the Sand Sculpture Competition! For more info click HERE!
Sand Sculpture Competition Details
Saturday, July 20th & Sunday, July 21st
(Combined weekend with the Rollback Car Show)
Check-in: At the Sand Sculpture Registration canopy at the Birch Bay Beach Park- located at 7930 Birch Bay Drive
9:30 am – 11:00 am: Registration and Plot Assignment – Building can begin at 10:00 am (depending on tide)
3:00 pm: Judging begins
4:30 pm: Awards Presentation
The Judging panel consists of local community members and friends of Birch Bay.
They will be rating: overall appearance, originality, teamwork and design.
Judges will score using a 1-10 point system for each category listed above. A perfect score would be 40 points
Awards will be given for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place winners in each division.
- High School
- Tweens 9-14
- Kids under 8
- Community Groups
Registration is FREE
- Plots are up to 20’x20′. work must be confined to this area.
- Plot must be clearly marked with colored stake designation division. (Stake will be given at check in)
- Extra water to wet sand is OK
- Tools or forms of any sort may be used in the process of construction, but may not support the structure.
- Decorations such as flags, kites, figurines, ornaments natural to design, may be used, but may not support structure.
- You must clean your area! Only biodegradable and earth friendly materials are allowed to be left on the beach.
- Children’s categories: One Adult may assist with initial digging, not with actual building.
- The main thing is to have fun and enjoy the day in Birch Bay!
- After judging stake must be turned in and area cleaned up to receive any awards earned
** PLEASE NOTE: ALL DOGS ON THE BEACH NEED TO BE ON AN 8′ OR LESS LEASH! PLEASE CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR PET!**
We look forward to receiving any video clips or photos taken at our event. Please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photos by Wayne Diaz